[MPlayer-users] Can anyone play this movie

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Dec 19 20:31:42 CET 2005

Hi,
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 08:26:45AM -0800, Serge Matovic wrote:
> Thanks Dominic.
> Actually, I discovered a small problem and I'd
> appreciate help:
>
> When I play the movie from my hard drive everything is
> perfect. But, when I play it from apple's web site, it
> starts to play, and then starts spitting out
> (non-stop) the following message:
>
> Resolving movies.apple.com for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server movies.apple.com[195.12.230.201]:
> 80...
> Resolving movies.apple.com for AF_INET6...24/124 50%
> 41% 81.5% 119 0 0%
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: movies.apple.com
>
> Can I fix that?

A proxy in-between might help. Large values for -cache should help in
theory but in reality I think it doesn't. The cause for this problem is the way
the mov container works (and our demuxer is to blame in part, too). It
needs a lot of seeking, which is extremely slow over http (if you wait
an hour you might actually see the first frame or so *g*).
You might try CVS with -demuxer lavf, maybe it works better.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger