[MPlayer-users] QuickTime/Linux problem

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:55:47 CET 2005

Hi,

On 12/19/05, Kamen TOMOV <kamen at evrocom.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19 2005, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> > What's more, the rule before reporting any bugs it to try CVS
> > version.
>
> I am not reporting a bug, instead, I am seeking for an advice.
>
> Generally, I need the packages on my system to play well with the
> others, therefore using the CVS could be risky and is too much
> trouble.
>
> MPlayer seems to be an application and not a library and one would
> expect that a distribution constantly has a package with the latest
> revision. My distribution does not which means that something's wrong
> there.

I did not see where you mention the name of your distribution. If your
distro doesn't ship MPlayer, there's nothing wrong about building it
yourself I suppose.

> Anybody sees a conceptual problem for a distribution to provide
> a static build of the latest MPlayer revision? This could be even
> automated.

Yes, I suppose. MPlayer uses static linking with most libs anyhow (for
performance reasons), no if anything goes wrong with the libs of your
system, MPlayer should no suffer from that.

Guillaume
--
MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/