[MPlayer-users] how I let normal users use pci scan?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Dec 13 22:06:44 CET 2005

On Tuesday, 13 December 2005 at 03:57, The Wanderer wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, 11 December 2005 at 18:28, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>[savage_vid] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
> >>
> >>How I give permission for a simple user use it ?
> >>
> >>I'd try
> >>chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci
> >>chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/pcitweak
> >>
> >>and I could do scanpci as a normal user but MPlayer still saying
> >>Operation not permitted
> >
> >VIDiX tries to access hardware directly. A normal user cannot do
> >this, but you can use a special kernel module built from svgalib
> >sources to let normal users use vidix. It's called svgalib_helper and
> >it's described in the docs. However, use the latest version of
> >svgalib instead of the one mentioned there, because the latest
> >version supports kernel 2.6.x.
>
> Where in the docs is this described?

file:///usr/share/doc/mplayer-1.0pre8/en/video.html#vidix

> What version should be recommended,
> and what (if anything) else should be said about it?

1.9.23. It works fine on my system (2.6.14). I provided a patched
svgalib_helper some time ago on mplayer-dev-eng, but I may simply post in
on my site until MPHQ2 is up:
http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/svgalib_helper-1.9.23-mplayer.tar.bz2

> It's better to update the documentation than to leave these things to
> fall by the wayside - I didn't even realize that a particular version
> was recommended, much less that there was a newer version available.

Indeed.

Regards,
R.