[MPlayer-users] Play with subtitles?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Dec 13 21:52:43 CET 2005

Sorry if this question is very basic, believe me I have looked through
the man page and played with options, and I cannot seem to get this
right.

I have a movie I downloaded which consists of three files, all in the
same directory.:

movie.avi
movie.idx
movie.rar

The .idx file is text and the forst line is:

# VobSub index file, v7 (do not modify this line!)

the rar file contains one compressed file called movie.sub, which itself is in some binary format. I assume it contains the subtitles, but I am
not very familiar with subtitle technology sorry.

The avi plays fine with mplayer movie.avi, but i cannot make the
subtitles work. Can someone give me the magic incantation to make these
work?
--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>