[MPlayer-users] mplayer having audio problems with rtsp

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:27:37 CET 2005

Hi there,
I'm trying to stream some hinted mp4 files from DSS and play them with
Mplayer, E.G.:
$mplayer rtsp://localhost/radarmen.mp4

It works except the audio is horrible and very choppy. This doesn't
happen with the sample_300kbit.mp4 file that comes with DSS, but does
with any other hinted mp4 files I've managed to find. Also everything
is fine if I play the offending file straight from disk without going
through DSS and RTSP, E.G.:
$ mplayer /usr/local/movies/radarmen.mp4

mp4info reports the following for the working sample_300kbit.mp4 file
and a non-working file:

/usr/local/movies/sample_300kbit.mp4:
Track   Type    Info
1       audio   MPEG-4 AAC LC, 70.031 secs, 48 kbps, 22050 Hz
2       video   MPEG-4 Unknown Profile(0), 70.000 secs, 220 kbps,
380x480 @ 30.000000 fps
3       hint    Payload MP4V-ES for track 2
4       hint    Payload mpeg4-generic for track 1

/usr/local/movies/radarmen.mp4:
Track   Type    Info
1       video   MPEG-4 Simple @ L1, 801.834 secs, 258 kbps, 320x240 @
29.970044 fps
2       hint    Payload MP4V-ES for track 1
5       audio   MPEG-4 AAC LC, 801.877 secs, 65 kbps, 48000 Hz
6       hint    Payload mpeg4-generic for track 5
7       od      Object Descriptors
8       scene   BIFS

Looking at the output when playing from RTSP, mplayer can not tell the
audio rate of either file, could this be the issue?

sample_300kbit.mp4:
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 16000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 16000->64000)

radarmen.mp4:
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 16000->192000)

Anyway, as you can tell I'm not really sure where to look. If someone
knows how to fix the above then great, but also if you have certain
encoding settings that always work for you with DSS and mplayer then I
would really appreciate hearing those too for when we start encoding
our own stuff.

Cian