[MPlayer-users] Mplayer doesn't compile

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Aug 26 17:48:22 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 02:27:11AM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:31:16 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > The free nv driver works perfectly well, as does the fb driver for
> > nvidia cards, doesn't it?
>
> If TV-out worked, I'd use it.  If there was another reasonable option
> for TV-out under Linux/X11 other than NVidia and binary drivers, I'd
> have used it. ATI is far worse...

My ATI works flawlessly with atyfb, vidix, and free X drivers. And
atitvout fully supports the tvout device on it. And of course the G400
works even better..

> In any case, NVidia cards and their binary drivers have worked
> flawlessly for me.  The only problem has been the people who keep
> ranting about how I should switch the the non-existant alternative ;-)

Recent nvidia card: $120-500 US.
Old nvidia or ati card that's fully supported by free drivers: $20-40 US.
Old matrox g400, best-supported card: $50-70 US.

Why the hell would one not choose the sane alternatives?!?

Rich