[MPlayer-users] Mplayer doesn't compile

Tor Olav Stava t-ol-sta at online.no
Fri Aug 26 11:06:11 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>>Well, I've heard a lot of negative talk about NVidia drivers, but
>>they've worked very well for me, except for compiling MPlayer. Trouble
>>is to get any support anywhere in the Linux community when the kernel is
>>marked tainted by NVidia. Don't really like their closed-source
>>mentality, but what can we do? I'm in no way capable of writing an
>>open-source driver for these cards, so just have to live with it, for
>>now.. Enough off topic, I think. Will jump to another mailing list. ;)
>>

>The free nv driver works perfectly well, as does the fb driver for
>nvidia cards, doesn't it? Anyway next time you buy hardware, buy
>something without this stupid nvidia mentality..

The only reasons I went with the NVidia card, was that it's ultra-cheap,
and had TV-Out support. I don't really know if the nv driver support
TV-out, coz I haven't tried. I'm using this machine to play movies, so
TV is quite essential, and I couldn't get it working with my old ATI
Rage 128. Setting up the NVidia for TV-out support was quite easy, and
works flawlessly as long as I don't switch to console during an
X-session, in which the console only outputs garbage. Exiting X, works
though.. That, and the closed source, is about the only bad thing I've
got to say about NVidia.
I also did a simple test with glxgears before and after installing the
drivers, and framerate doubled with NVidia's drivers compared to nv.

Tor Olav