[MPlayer-users] mplayer's jack name

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Thu Aug 18 03:40:50 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 11:06 +1000, etienne deleflie wrote:
> Anyway, ..... my issue is that Mplayer advertises its Jack connections
> as "Mplayer [2032]" ... with what seems to be the PID in square
> brackets. This is actually not good because it means that I can not
> pre-configure my Jack connections since I dont know what the PID of
> Mplayer is going to be.

This is interesting, because I submitted the patch to add the pid to
mplayer's jack connection name. :)  I'm not really a jack user, and
don't know too much about it, but when I was testing it, I noticed more
than one instance of mplayer would fail to properly connect.  Adding the
pid to the connection name seemed logical.

However, clearly there are some practical problems.

A recent jack patch submitted on xine-devel deals with this problem by
first connecting with the name "xine" and only if that fails will it add
the pid to the connection name.  This is the best of both worlds: you
get a predictable connection name, and you also can have multiple
instances.

If MPlayer implemented the same approach, I think it would satisfy
everyone.

Cheers,
Jason.