[MPlayer-users] configure script patch

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 15:48:43 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 01:16 am, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 04:08:39PM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> > To get the configure script to properly detect the OpenGL driver with the
> > ATI drivers installed. The following patch was needed. If mplayer is
> > linked against libGL.a the OpenGL acceleration does not work properly.
>
> Rejected. libGLU is something else, and we can't depend on it, it would
> break OpenGL on some weirder systems. Also it probably wouldn't work for
> nVidia, since they have a libGLU.a but no libGL.a (I expect it won#t
> even link then).
> What does "does not work properly" mean? If it's slow your libGL.a is
> probably a leftover from the software MesaGL, and should be deleted (and
> you should tell ATI to move it out of the way when installing their
> drivers). If it isn't, you should also tell ATI to fix it.
> In any case, the right way IMHO is deleting the libGL.a
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

Reimar,

I removed libGL.a and re-ran configure (the stock one from mplayer) and OpenGL
on my system was not detected. I applied my patch that changes -lGL to -lGLU
and OpenGL was detected and mplayer did run with accelerated OpenGL.

You were correct in that the libGL.a on my system was the one from Mesa and
that is why OpenGL did not work properly (it was unaccellerated)

Perhaps there could be an additional test that if detection of OpenGL fails
when using libGL it could be tried again with libGLU and see if that works?
That way it will only fall back to libGLU if needed?

Kevin

--
Get my public GnuPG key from
http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/export?id=7574690260641978351