[MPlayer-users] how to convert wmv to mpeg2

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Aug 16 04:10:46 CEST 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:42:41 +0300
"Jouni.Lohikoski at iki.fi" <jlohikos at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> As the question and thread is still open, I ask in the same time, why
> you can't join several similar (same resolution, same codecs, ...)
> wmv-files together with mencoder?

Software bug?  User error?  Damaged input files?

Would you like me to keep guessing?  I can go on like this for quite a
while...

> but couldn't mencoder handle wmv-files just as streams where between
> the files there has been stream error (like missing UDP packets)?

Sure, just cat the ASF files together, then encode from that single
large file.  Then it really will be just one continuous stream with a
few errors

> Also just joining plain MPEG1/2 files does not work:

It does for me.

> OPTS="-ovc lavc -oac topy -lavciots vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500"
>     mencoder <OPTS> -o test.avi 1.mpg 2.mpg 3.mpg

If you've got that many typos in your command-line, it's no wonder you
can't get it to work.

Issues like a/v sync when muxing from MPEG/ASF files have been
addressed many times in the docs and on this mailing list.  They aren't
specific to multiple files.  Try "-noskip", different values for "-mc",
etc.