[MPlayer-users] Please, I need urgent help with filtering a wedding video

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 10 13:26:41 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:22:29PM -0600, Dark Shadow wrote:
> > one thing to be aware of: if your video really is interlaced (hard to
> > tell from the still pics i saw, but i assume it is), you should filter
> > the two fields separately for best results. otherwise you'll get
> > bleeding between them, and possibly really bogus behavior when
> > sharpening if the two fields differ a lot. try something like:
> >
> > -vf il=d:d,[your cleanup filters here],il=i:i
> >
> > of course replacing "[your cleanup filters here]" with whichever
> > filters you want to use.
> >
> > rich
> >

> I have started making my script for converting these files and need a
> little clarification since I could not find some answers in "man
> mencoder".
> I could not find  or missed what the sharpen filter is called.

unsharp can either sharpen or blur.

> As for 2 or 3 pass encoding do you use the same command but just
> change the vpass= and leave the rest.

yes.

> Is three going to show even a
> slight increase since I think I heard along time ago not to use it?

the type of "3pass" that's bad to use is the old audio-prepass
frameno.avi thing. however, imo using more than 2 passes is almost
useless, especially if you're encoding for dvd where the bitrate is
fairly restrictive.

> Can I set it up to target a file size on the second pass or do I have
> to use a bitrate calculator every time?

use the same bitrate you calculated for the first pass.

rich