[MPlayer-users] Ripping Quicktime Trailers

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Mon Aug 1 11:07:03 CEST 2005

Trying to download to my machine the serenity movie trailer.

The url given in the EMBED part of the web page is:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/universal/serenity/serenity-tlr2_480.mov

However that is not the actual movie file, it is some sort of plalist.
wgetting the file and then looking at it reveals some sort of binary
format, and the file command tells me this:

nick at sf ~/mediatemp $ file serenity-tlr2_480.mov
serenity-tlr2_480.mov: Apple QuickTime multiple URLs

mplayer will stream and play the movie if you pass the url like this:

mplayer \
http://movies.apple.com/movies/universal/serenity/serenity-tlr2_480.mov

but not if you pass it the downloaded file, ie neither of these work:

mplayer serenity-tlr2_480.mov
mplayer -playlist serenity-tlr2_480.mov

Anyway encouraged by passing the url to it I tried to -dumpfile it, but
all it seems to do is download the little file and then do the "dump
core ;)" thing and die. IE it doesn't seem to parse the playlist file
and do anything after that.

So, how do I rip such a stream?

Cheers.

--