[MPlayer-users] DTS audio question -- perhaps off topic

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 14:38:11 CEST 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Aaron Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to take a DTS Audio CD and re-encode
>>> it to a multichannel ogg file.  I was thinking MPlayer could read
>>> DTS Audio off DVDs and down mux it or whatever for two speakers,
>>> I was curious if It could read DTS Audio CDs and perhaps
>>> re-encode to multi-channel ogg?  I'm guessing no, but it never
>>> hurts to ask I think :-)
>>
>> No, it can't do that, not directly anyway. (MEncoder is a video
>> encoder, not an audio encoder, and MPlayer can (aside from
>> playback) only either
>
> this is becoming a myth

...news to me. Have I missed something? I certainly don't think it's
possible for MEncoder to output (i.e. encode and mux) an audio stream
without an accompanying video stream, and I don't think it has a lot of
the features one might want in a full-fledged audio encoder - though
I'll admit I don't know offhand what those might be, since I don't do
much of any encoding myself (lacking both source material and hard disk
space). In any case, I'm simply reporting what has been said by others
since at the least shortly after I joined the list, which I have not
seen contradicted since; if I'm operating off of out-of-date information
somehow, I'd certainly like to know how.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.