[MPlayer-users] DTS audio question -- perhaps off topic

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 14:38:02 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:00:06 -0400 The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> The best you could get is to either use 'mplayer -dumpaudio' to get
>> the audio stream off of the CD
>
> I can't imagine why you would do it that way.  Why not just output to
>  PCM (a file or fifo) of however many channels you want, and use
> oggenc on that as the source?  How would -dumpaudio help here?

It wouldn't necessarily, except in that it would provide a way to access
the audio stream in some other way than directly from the CD - which
could be helpful, in case one's bottleneck is not having any non-MPlayer
tool which is capable of properly reading and decoding such a CD -
without going through an intermediary stage, such as the PCM you
mention. In any case, it should certainly work as a means of providing a
not-on-CD version of the audio track (which is the goal here, since
MPlayer/MEncoder can't mux to Ogg at all yet, much less sans video
track), and I try to be precise when I can - which in this case includes
being complete in listing possible solutions I know of.

(There's also the fact that when I wrote the previous message, I wasn't
completely certain that PCM - being as uncomplicated an audio format as
I know of - supported more than one channel...)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.