[MPlayer-users] issue playing xvid file on xbox and mplayer

Andy Barr ajbarr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 18:36:31 CEST 2005

On 4/20/05, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:00:00 -0400
> Andy Barr <ajbarr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I tried all the options suggested by the messages about my system
> > being slow and the sound still stutters.  If anyone has another
> > suggestion please let me know.
>
> You have "-zoom" on your command-line, even though you are using -vo xv
> and shouldn't need software scaling.  Remove that first, and see if it
> helps.  That could be using up a *lot* of CPU power for no good reason.
>
> Is your CPU load at 100% when you play this video?

I tried,
mplayer -framedrop -vo xv test.avi
and
mplayer -framedrop test.avi
For both options I still get the stutter.
50% of my CPU is free when playing this file.
I finally figured out that this is an alsa problem.  I created a
.asoundrc file and changed the buffer_size and it fixed the problem.
I found this example .asoundrc file on the web.  I'm not sure if I
need all these options but it works.  Thanks everyone for the help.
~/.asoundrc file that fixed the issue.

pcm.dsp {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"