[MPlayer-users] Re: [transcode-users] howoto convert single still.png graphic to raw.dv ?

Heitzso heitzso at growthmodels.com
Wed Apr 20 21:43:42 CEST 2005

In case this is useful to someone else, I ended up:

using gimp to generate a blat.pnm graphic file of
the same resolution as the ntsc dv, 720x480

when gimp asked how to write out the new pnm
file I spec'ed raw

using audacity to generate a silent.wav file long
enough for the length of the new raw.dv file
(fairly straight forward)

writing a python program that:

generated 300 symbolic links to the single
graphic.pnm file (for a 10 second clip)

executed essentially the command:
    cat blatCOPY*.pnm | encodedv -p 3 -a wav -o raw - silent.wav > raw.dv
where blatCOPY*.pnm picks up the symbolic links

using console output from gmplayer as a guide, the resultant
raw.dv file is indistinguishable from one picked up by dvgrab
and kino seems to be happy with it.  So I expect I'll be able to
edit in kino with it, mixing it in with video clips pulled from dvgrab.

While the blat.pnm file is crystal clear in the gimp, there is
noise in the blat.dv file.  The content is a single blue background
with cream letters saying "Interview Paused Tape Changed"
in a fairly large serif'ed font.  I'm guessing the DV image
has trouble retaining the clarity of the letters and that that
is typical of DV and is not related to my use of the 'encodedv'
command.  If anyone knows otherwise (or how to clean up
the letters) I'd appreciate hearing.

In the meantime, I hope this is useful to someone, somewhere.

Heitzso