[MPlayer-users] RE: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 41

Maxipoint Rep Office maxipoint at st.htnet.hr
Mon Apr 18 18:48:55 CEST 2005

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:00:02 -0700
From: RC <rcooley at spamcop.net>
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] mplayer frosen after 5 hours of playing
To: "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests,	bug reports"
	<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:53:44 +0200
"Maxipoint Rep Office" <maxipoint at st.htnet.hr> wrote:

> After 5-6 hours of playing PC was be frosen.. mplayer process is on
> 99% and video stay stop on TV screen, and I must restart PC

First off, are you running mplayer as root?  If you are, you shouldn't
be (unless you have a very good reason to require it).  If you're not,
then it's obviously not a problem with mplayer, as no non-root program
should be able to crash a system.
RE: I must start mplayer as root

I've personally watched videos longer than 5-6 hours with mplayer
(though not with recent versions) and never had any signs of problems.
It sounds to me like your hardware is overheating.  Are you
overclocking your processor?  A hot CPU is most likely the problem, but
it could be just about any hardware: power supply, videocard,
northbridge, RAM, hard drive, etc.
RE: I'l explain more.. I test 1500 MPGs per session and I have independent
program what 1500 times open MPG and play 20 seconds 1 MPG..
always near 1000 MPGs system frosen on the mplayer process