[MPlayer-users] [Sorry for the base64 code]Re:Why -chapter works well but -ss fails for DVD?

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Wed Apr 13 17:09:58 CEST 2005

Bo Xie wrote:
>>This question was answered million times. Search the ML archive
>

> Calm down, please. My question is why -chapter works well and it is
> also a "seek" action for DVD. I know -ss fails for mplayer for a long
> time, but I want to know why? Then maybe we can fix it. Right? Thank
> you!
>
> Best Regards,
> Xie Bo

To my knowledge the IFO files contain the real sector numbers of the
chapter beginnings, therefore the seeking works fairly well. -ss instead
is of course only an estimation on the file size/video length, and so
often enough wrong (merely all the time).

About the fixability? I don't know, would perhaps require scanning the
entire video beforehand and creating a time/byte pos-map which would
then be used. I don't know if something already exists on the DVD
structures (or in the VOB stream, at least as hint), but to my knowledge
DVD player (the commercial ones) do get the time right, and do not play
the video at the beginning only to get the times... I'm a little bit
confused about this...

Regards,
Alex