[MPlayer-users] audio - video synchronization

Sebastian Krämer spambouncer at skraemer.de
Wed Apr 13 01:46:56 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 00:50, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:49:34PM +0200, Sebastian Krämer wrote:

> > I don't know what hardware you're using, but I guess - as many people
> > suffer from it - there may be explicit help for your sound chip/card.
> > Make dmix work, it's worth the effort!
>
> dmix is an evil hack, don't bother with it...
> really, i can't grasp why on earth people would want to be bothered
> with other apps making sounds while they're trying to watch a movie or
> listen to music. didn't you abandon windows for a reason?!?

I don't know what problems from dmix you encountered or what you've heard of -
also I don't have knowledge of the internals (so I don't know what 'hack'
you're talking about).. Dmix is making a huge difference for me, compared
with other user space mixing apps like arts. I just don't notice it, I just
don't have to care about it..
I quit windows for other reasons than sound mixing. Said, I don't know how MS
accomplishes that sound mixing works that good without any manual
configuartion even on soundchips that only support a single channel, and I
don't care about it.. I really don't know what you meant with that abandon
argument..
It works for me, so I thought I'd give a suggestion that would help others..

Sebastian