[MPlayer-users] pna stream on bbc not working

Adrian Buciuman adibuciuman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 01:35:00 CEST 2005

  Thanks, I've  known the pnm -> rtsp trick for a long time.

   (There are even some stream savers/downloaders for windows which
falsely claim that they support pnm streaming. But what many of them
do is to change the url prefix, and try rtsp/port 554 and maybe
rtsp/port 7070).

   It would be nice to add a tip in documentation and even in the
mplayer output about trying other protocols. But I don't think an
application developed primary for Unix systems should pretend it is
smarter than the user and automatically try other streaming protocols.
Depending on various firewall & nat configurations, connecting to a
different remote port other may have undesirable effects, may end on a
diferent server streaming something else. Or imagine one  have a
paranoic network administrator which logs every connection if the
remote port is smaller than 1024. Now, I type mplayer pnm://blabla and
I hope that my network administrator will not catch me, because the
implicit port is 7070.  But mplayer will try to connect to
rtsp://blabla, it will use 554 as the remote port--bad luck indeed!!
Also imagine that for some reasons ports 512-1024 are forwarded to a
different server, so that pnm://blabla and rtsp://blabla will stream
from different machines. I like an application which doesn't try to be
smarter than me, and one which respects the principle of least
surprise.

   In the documentation I've seen  "-rtsp-stream-over-tcp (live.com
only)". I've first belived that for realmedia-rtsp streams tcp-only is
not supported, and udp is always used. I was wrong. All realmedia-rtsp
streams I've tested used tcp-only. (Beyond using rtsp/pnm over
tcp+udp, Realplayer also supports other options, like pnm/rtsp over
http, http/pnm/rtsp proxies, pnm/rtsp with multicast, using specific
upd ports. I've seen with ethereal it tries to initiate udp
connections from the client to the server in order to establish
connections through a firewall/nat.)

PS: How is correct? pnm stream or pna stream??