[MPlayer-users] 2pass encoding... faster first pass?

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 16:59:14 CEST 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:39:59PM +0930, Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:
> Also, ive tried setting vrc_buf_size to 1835 as sugested in the man page, but
> when i do i get lots of "rc buffer underflow" messages (about one per encoded frame).
> Do you know what is going on here?

Actually, the man page DOESN'T suggest using this buffer size. It does,
however, inform you that it's needed for encoding *TO* DVD (i.e., making
your own DVDs). Maybe the man page wasn't entirely clear on this point.

I'd also like to point out that you're setting quite a few options to
their defaults. All of the following are already defaults, and don't
need to be set:

vqmin=2
vme=4
keyint=250
vstrict=0
precmp=0
cmp=0
subcmp=0
predia=1
dia=1

So out of 20 lavcopts, you're using 9 that have absolutely no effect.

May I suggest that you check out this document:
http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mencoder.html
Sadly, every other mencoder guide on the web totally sucks except for
this one. Try reading section 7.11.6. Hopefully this will help some.

Finally, I agree with ZikZak's excellent advice: use the turbo option
on the first pass.