[MPlayer-users] mencoder questions

Oleynik Phil Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Apr 4 15:48:23 CEST 2005

Rainer Hantsch wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Oleynik Phil wrote:
>| Rainer Hantsch wrote:
>Sorry to say, but this options seem to be only valid for mplayer, not for
>mencoder. When I use -quite, it immediately aborts with "-quiet illegal
>option". (I would not have asken when -quiet would work.) ;-)
>
>Again a reason for splitting the docs into TWO docs. One for mplayer and one
>for mencoder, each one only showing what is valid in the related program.

If nothing helps - edit source, just comment out all "printf"'s that go
to screen. It will take not more than 30 min.

>| >2. Stamping while recording
>| >   I am sure this is a very unusual wish because everybody is happy to see
>| >   nothing of such stuff inside the recordings, but I have a special case
>| >   where a static text/image should be overlayed either periodically or
>| >   permanent over the whole image.
>| >   I think about either drawing some kind of image in frame size with either
>| >   a transparent background or with one color to be handled as "transparent"
>| >   like in a "bluebox",
>| >   or using only some text which will be inserted like a subtitle.
>| >
>| I recommend to use subtitles and hardsub it into the movie, maybe not
>| right from TV.
>
>Can you tell me how to do that? I never played around with subtitles. Let's
>start with the following situation: I have a ready made (recorded) DivX4 file
>on my harddisk, plus mplayer/mencoder.

Just make subtitles as you wish, e.g. SRT format. Example:

75
00:07:49,781 --> 00:07:51,305
You made me wait in the sun
for fifteen minutes !

First is the number, they start from 1, then time start, time end. Then
title and then empty line.
Then add -sub <yourfile> to command line. Make sure you have
~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf link pointed to your
favourite font.

Philipp