[MPlayer-users] AC3 volume far too low

Sun Sep 26 13:34:02 CEST 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Nico Sabbi wrote:

NS>Hi,
NS>using liba52 to decode 5.1 ac3 sound from dvds the volume is always too
NS>low to be
NS>heard, so dialogues are simply whispers.
NS>For comparison windvd shoots the volume at least 2+ times louder.
NS>Using -a52drc doesn't help either.
NS>My sound card is an onboard intel-8xx with an earset attached.
NS>
NS>Is there any way to have reasonable volume without resorting to -af
NS>volume=x ?

I can tell you some interesting facts. First, if you play the same dvd
with xine, volume will be OK.

Second, if you will try -channels 6 option, the volume will be loud too.
Of course, if you have only stereo headphones connected, you'll be able
to hear only sound from front or rear channels, but for some reason the
sound will be loud, you'll have to use -af volume=15 or 20 to get the
same volume level with -channels 2.

--

Vladimir