[MPlayer-users] DVD ID_LENGHT (lenght in seconds) is uncorrect

Alessandro Di Rubbo evanescenti at graffiti.net
Wed Sep 22 23:44:03 CEST 2004

> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:42:39 +0200
> From: JiHO <jo.irisson at noos.fr>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] DVD ID_LENGHT (lenght in seconds) is
> 	uncorrect
> To: "MPlayer usage questions, features,	bugreports"
> 	<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
>
> [...]
>
> second: i've noticed the problem that you report. mplayer's OSD gives
> also bad time information with DVD. I cannot help you to solve this but

Yes, also OSD displays bad DVD time informormation, exactly like the mplayer GUI.

> I can advise use to use "lsdvd" in your scripts. i displays correctly
> the lenths of DVD tracks. you'll have to do some little math to convert
> it to seconds but it's quite easy.

I knowed lsdvd, but now I've read its help message and I've understood that it's the program that I need, small and stand-alone (not as tcprobe, that comes with trancode): thanks.

> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:28:05 +0200
> From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] DVD ID_LENGHT (lenght in seconds) is
> 	uncorrect
> To: "MPlayer usage questions, features,	bugreports"
> 	<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
>
> [...]
>
> It won't be fixed in MPlayer in reasonable time, most probably. AFAIR OSD
> displays current PTS, which is read from MPEG headers. So if they're
> wrong, it'll be incorrect, too. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The greatest problem is not that I can see the correct total time directly from mplayer, but that I cannot see or encode a  DVD starting from the nth second (using -ss function). Example. I want encode separately, at a constant bitrate, movie credits that don't start at last chapter beginning: OSD/GUI value before "/" isn't in relation with total time value after "/" so I can't use it, but I can't use the corret credits start time displayed by another player, too, because the total displayed by mplayer is uncorrect (and there isn't a linear correlation between the true lenght and the lenght diplayed by mplayer)...

Anyway, thank you

Bye
Graffiti.net free e-mail @ www.graffiti.net
Check out our value-added Premium features, such as a 1 GB mailbox for just US$9.95 per year!