[MPlayer-users] -ss option time descrepancy

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 16:23:24 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:39:58PM +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:

>> If one assumes an MPEG-PS format with correct timestamps, correct
>> seeking to a particulat frame using repeated bisection then a
>> little bit of MxV parsing should work, no? Of course the problem is
>> then to *decode* non-key frames, especially when faced with
>> variable GOP size or open GOPs...
>>
>> So ITYM 'seeking in a pathological MPEG'?
>
> if you call 75% of all dvd's "pathological", then yes...

...plus apparently every single .mpg file I've ever found on the
Internet, and certainly every one for which I've noticed one way or the
other; I don't remember ever doing -ss in an MPEG file and having it go
to the requested time offset. (Admittedly part of this could be just bad
memory and/or lack of observation... but there have been enough specific
cases that I'd be quite willing to believe the problem is present with
all of them.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.