[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-1.0pre4 bug with divx4 multipass filter

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Sep 13 09:36:27 CEST 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:16:41AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>> Right now, I'm using dev-RPM-CVS-040904-03:12-3.3.2. Lavc was cvs up'ed
> DRFI>> the same day, of course.
> DRFI>
> DRFI>are you using redhat? probably they have some broken
>
> Redhat? It's for severs only, and very expensive..

OK so they changed the name... I still call it Redhat.

> Ever heard that rpm
> is used in almost every linux distro?

Only about 1/3 of them. The other 2/3 use debs or source.

> But you almost guessed right, I'm using fc1-based distribution called
> asplinux.

OK there...

> DRFI>compiler/kernel or lib that's messing up lavc. you seem to be
>
> Do you really think that such problems exist nowadays, especially if
> users are doing everything correctly?
> And you think that library that can be damaged by these things is a good
> library?

ARRRRRGGGG!!! Yes!! Look at all the history of gcc bugs affecting
MPlayer. Not a single one of them was MPlayer's fault! All were
compiler bugs, plain and simple, and they occurred most commonly with
Redhat...

> I can believe that some kernel or glibc patches, preloading etc can
> result in problems with "unsteady" code, such as win32 loader, but in
> lavc under such specific conditions?

Yes. A bad compiler will generate WRONG instructions for C code (or in
the case of the famous gcc two point nine six, it will randomly omit
some of your asm instructions in inline asm ;).

> DRFI>huh? i watch plenty xvid-encoded fansubs and other files, so i'm sure
> DRFI>some of them must be using qpel... i've never seen such a bug.
>
> Not sure how to explain it.

A sample clip would do. If you don't want to upload anything give me
the filename (including fansub group) and I'll grab it myself.

> DRFI>happen. if you see a crazy bug like this, please upload samples and
> DRFI>make a bug report! obviously no one else has experienced this problem,
> DRFI>or at least none of the developers.
>
> OK. You can get one yourself, by encoding any file with xvid; I'll post
> options that will lead to this when encoding the file I'll upload, to be
> sure.

I'd like a file I can just play better. I don't feel like compiling
latest xvid and recompiling MPlayer with (useless to me) xvid support.

Rich