[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-1.0pre4 bug with divx4 multipass filter

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Sep 12 21:34:36 CEST 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:45:21 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> imo there's absolutely no way to fix 2 with a block-based codec,

Well, "LoopFiltering" comes to mind.  That's part of the H.264 standard,
so it shouldn't be long before being commonly in-use.

In addition, as far back as VP3, I was impressed with On2's codec for
it's apparent lack of blocking artifacts, despite being block-based
like every other codec at the time.

> but the real solution is to abandon block-based codecs.

I'll go one better...  The solution is to abandon digital video
all-together.  Long live analog!