[MPlayer-users] rip stops at 77th minute on standalone reader

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Sep 12 08:51:04 CEST 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:25:41 +0200
Alain Barthélemy <cassandre at bartydeux.be> wrote:

> Thank you for answer. Now I have to find what "ODML" means.

ODML is an extension for AVIs, to work-around the size limitation of
AVI (as well as a few other limitations of AVI).  Basically, it encodes
an index chunk after every 1GB of the AVI file, and it's usually at 1GB
where people have problems with playback.

> Now why does not the option -ss work when reading a DVD?

It has nothing to do with DVDs.  MPlayer's -ss code is pretty simple,
and known to be very inaccurate, depending on the container format of
the video.  Search the mailing list archive and you'll find thousands of
messages on the subject.  The only solution is trial and error guessing
of -ss values.