[MPlayer-users] jpegs

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 1 01:27:21 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:25:34PM +0200, Torinthiel wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 08:37:56AM +0200, Faheem Adam wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > How can I configure mplayer to show jpegs ? I have configured with a
> > -enable-jpeg and it has been installed with jpeg support , but the
> > problem is if I have to run the command
> >
> > Mplayer -vo xv somepicture.jpg
>
> You probably want to use
> mplayer 'mf://*.jpg' -fps 1
> mf stands for multi file, so that MPlayer knows it has to form one
> stream of images from files. '' are to protect *, and -fps is so that
> you could actually see the images for more than a fraction of seconds.
> Torinthiel

no need to protect the * unless you happen to have a directory named
"mf:" in the working directory, which seems very unlikely to me... :)

btw this doesn't work very well at all. mplayer only processes key
input when displaying a new frame (very stupid) so there's no way to
pause on an image if you want to keep it displayed, and of course
there's no seeking.

anyway someone should take mplayer's filter layer and libvo and write
a nice still image viewer based on them. it's about 20x faster than
all the other imageviewer programs, meaning it's actually usable for
viewing digital photos while all the other viewers suck... but with
the horrible (nonexistant) interface mplayer has for still images,
it's not usable. :(

rich