[MPlayer-users] watching 576i (interlaced) video

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Mon Oct 25 11:13:57 CEST 2004

Peter Zelezny wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've recently started using mplayer to watch TV via my DVB-T card. The
>picture quality is excellent, and takes little CPU, but there's one problem
>I've noticed...
>
>Most stations here are transmitting in 576i format (mpeg2). I don't know how
>else to describe it, but the motion "feels" slow. On the weekend I watched
>some motor racing and tennis, it becomes really noticable here.
>
>I suppose the problem comes down to the fact that it's (mplayer) generating
>25fps progressive frames, from 50 field/sec video. Has anybody thought about
>trying to generate 50fps from such a source? Being able to perceive a change
>in the image once every 1/50s should "feel" better than 25fps, even though
>only every 2nd line can change.
>
>Also, this is probably the wrong place to ask, but just for comparing, are
>there any programs out there that do something more fancy with interlaced
>mpeg video?

Mplayer doesn't deinterlace unless you you tell it to.
You may have some forced vf in your ~/.mplayer/config file.
There are many programs to deinterlace, and mplayer has various filters
to do the same task. It's generally agreed that none of mplayer's
deinterlacers
(some say none at all) works perfectly; this is one of the most
recurrent questions
in this forum so you have plenty of threads to read in the archive.