[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] Crash when REAL used with any -aop options

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 08:24:36 CEST 2004

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Hi,

>>> all aops are now available as afs, so no need to use -aop
>>> anymore. Thus this won't be fixed anymore (unless it also happens
>>> with -af).
>>
>> Not with quite the same functionality, they're not. Specifically,
>> with -af volume=<value>, I get: an OSD volume display which
>> sometimes makes no sense (up to jumping between zero and max when I
>> try to adjust volume on the fly); at higher volumes, staticky audio
>> which gets worse as time and/or volume adjustments go on; and no
>> response whatsoever to the volume adjustment keys, except for a
>> change in the OSD. On the other hand, -aop
>> list=volume:volume=<value> has none of these problems.
>
> That's probably because you're using the volume filter in a way it
> isn't supposed to be used...

News to me if so. AFAIK, I'm just following a recommendation (from
Richard?) on how to get software volume control at all.

> Did you try leave it out from the commandline and use ao sdl instead?

Not specifically in this case, but I tried all kinds of things (varying
AO methods being first on the list) back when I was trying to get
software volume control in the first place, and unless my memory is even
more screwed up than usual nothing else would actually work. (The
alternative is that yes, I tried that, and it produced audio Way Too
Quiet even at full volume.)

I don't know what I was doing back then, though, because I just gave it
another shot and it worked just fine... maybe something's changed on my
system in the interim, I don't know. Thanks for the suggestion, because
I'd probably have never gotten around to trying it again otherwise.

> Also you might want to look at mixer.c, lines 24 and 48. Removing the
> ifs should give you software volume control.

I'll have a look, though I may not actually change anything since SDL
output seems to give me what I was after.

> Also by adjusting (replacing) the values 90.0 and 180.0 (2*90.0) you
> can adjust the possible range of the volume.
>
> Care to make a patch to allow to select all this on the command line?
> ;-)

If I can figure out how (a *very* big if) and don't procrastinate my way
to abandoning the idea (an unfortunately likely proposition), I'd love
to.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.