[MPlayer-users] Problem with 'scale' negative options.

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Oct 25 07:56:45 CEST 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:09:05 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> i'm very confused how these would be useful.

Well, to be specific, I am re-encoding interlaced 720x480 material.
Unfortunately, it needs to be playable by programs and hardware that
don't understand aspect, so I have to scale it.

If I do scale=-1:-2, it will scale up the height to 540, which will
competely ruin the interlacing.  So, I wanted to use scale=-2:-1 to
keep the height the same, and scale only the width.

Since that does't work, I've been using scale=-2:480, which works, but
different material has different heights, so I have to manually change
the 480 to match each individual video.  If scale=-2:-1 worked, it would
help a lot.

> these cases. if you want these extended options you described to work,
> please submit a patch.

Well, I expected this was an actual bug, because scale=-1:-2 will work
fine, but scale=-2:-1 does not...