[MPlayer-users] No sound for quicktime

Robert Mark Bram relaxedrob at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 24 04:07:17 CEST 2004

Hi All!

I have
- RH 9
- "MPlayer 1.0pre2-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team" as an rpm downloaded
through synaptic
- MPlayer codecs essential-20040922.tar installed at /usr/lib/win32 and a
copy at /usr/local/lib/win32
- Opera 7.23.
- I compiled and used mplayerplug-in-2.70.tar.gz to plugin MPlayer to
Opera according to these instructions:
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/faq.php
./configure --enable-x  [--with-gecko-sdk={path} ]
make
cp mplayerplug-in.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/libxpcom.so /usr/lib

When I play a quicktime stream from apple.com:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fat_albert/FA_trailer_large.html
I get no sound..

But when I play an mpg from the command line, I do get sound.

On that FAQ page it says "If the trailer plays but there is no sound, this
can be caused by mplayer not being compiled with FAAD
support. FAAD is the AC3 decoder that is needed to decode the audio in
some quicktime files" But could this be the case if I got
MPlayer from an RPM? How can I check if FAAD support is inbuilt?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Rob
:)

--
Robert Mark Bram