[MPlayer-users] MPplayer and installing a new gcc version

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Oct 21 22:56:57 CEST 2004

On Thursday, 21 October 2004 at 22:05, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I want to build MPlayer-1.0pre5 on RH 7.3.
> >
> > I recommend gcc3-3.2.2 RPMs from http://kde-redhat.sf.net/ (that's
> > what I used). MPlayer will pick it up automagically.
>
> I can not at all recommend that. Most 2.x versions before 3.4.1 had
> bugs. So unless you enjoy debugging compiler bugs, do _not_ use them!

I know they're buggy, but I've been using that version (and it's not
vanilla, it's patched) for quite some time to build MPlayer packages and
there haven't been any ICEs or crashes. I'm not saying there won't be any
problems, I'm just saying that so far it's been working and it's an easy
way to install a newer compiler on RH7.3 without tediously building from
source.

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/