[MPlayer-users] mplayer doesn't recognize radeon

Marek Zachara marek.zachara at telperion.pl
Thu Oct 21 10:13:17 CEST 2004

On Thursday 21 of October 2004 01:20, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:15:17 +0200
>
> Marek Zachara <marek.zachara at telperion.pl> wrote:
> > mplayer -vo -fs vesa moviefile.avi
>
> I hope you just typed that incorrectly.

yep, of course i ment -vo vesa -fs ....

> > i can see the movie on the TV, but framerate is unacceptable (probably
> > due to the software scaling).
>
> You can specify different software scalers with -sws.
>
> > [fbdev2] Using device /dev/fb0
> > [fbdev2] Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device
> > Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
> >
> > (although there is a node /dev/fb0)
>
> Having the /dev entry doesn't mean anything.  You have to have fbdev
> support compiled in your kernel, and working before you start mplayer.
> Tip, if you don't see a graphic of a penguin when you boot-up, you
> don't have fbdev working.

I have frame buffer configured within kernel. As i wrote before i tried it
both with fb compiled into kernel and fb module for radeon. neither worked :(
to have a penguin logo, it also has to be configured afair :-) but the machine
i'm running it on does not have monitor attached - it's locked in server case.
So until it boots up and atitvout configures s-video i don't see much...

> > on the other hand, mplayer -vo cvidix or mplayer -vo vesa:vidix cannot
> >
> > recognize the graphics card:
>
> You can specify the driver to use.  eg.  -vo cvidix:radeon

nope, it doesn't work too - same response: 'Can't find chip'

> > I have kernel 2.6.8.1
>
> That might be the problem :-)

How to get around it then without downgrading to 2.4? I'm using
some of 2.6 features that are quite important to me so i can't go back.

Marek