[MPlayer-users] Segmentation fault in pre5

Martin Simmons vyslnqaaxytp at spammotel.com
Thu Oct 21 01:46:58 CEST 2004

> I did as you described. The first run (without gdb) had a segfault. The
> second run (vpass=1) completed normally. The third run had a segfault.
> I executed the following list of commands:

> bt
> disass $pc-32 $pc+32
> info all-registers
> disass put_no_rnd_pixels8_xy2_mmx
> shell cat /proc/NNNNN/maps

> The only special thing I notice is that it happend less than a second from
> one hour of the movie.

These crashes always seem to involve memory accesses near to MMX instructions
and gdb ofen reports inexplicable register contents.  To me this suggests one
or more of the following problems:

1) your machine could be faulty
2) the kind of CPU in your machine might not be 100% MMX-compliant
3) your OS might be faulty
4) gdb could be broken
5) MPlayer's MMX code could be broken

Since it happens in various different functions, I favour 1, 2 or 3 as the
reason.

What is the output from

cat /proc/cpuinfo

and which Linux kernel are you running?

Also, I suggest you do the following extra gdb command after 'info all-registers'
next time it crashes:

x/64x $esp

__Martin