[MPlayer-users] Converting old VHS tapes to DVD

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Sun Oct 17 22:26:46 CEST 2004

Ivan Imperl wrote:

>Nedavno Nico Sabbi pise:
>
>| You should consider using -oac toolame instead of acodec=mp2 (that
>| sounds terrible).
>| toolame at 112 kb/s cbr  is already acceptable; obviously the higher
>| the bitrate the better
>| the quality.
>| You need to download this librarized version of toolame
>| http://users.tpg.com.au/adslblvi/toolame/toolame-02m-beta8.tar.bz2
>| and install it in /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib.
>
>I am transferring videos from VHS-C camcorder mono audio via BT878 video
>(Leadtek WinFast tv card). Sounds OK to me the way it is.
>
>In DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-mpeg.html :
>
>"This feature is not very useful right now, aside that it probably has
>many bugs, but the more importantly because MEncoder currently cannot
>encode MPEG1 layer 2 (MP2) audio, which all other players expect in MPEG
>files."
>
>Is this old document still not changed, or will my file be not usable in
>DVD players?

very old information that should be removed asap

>| You should also add -of mpeg.
>
>OK.
>
>| >I probably need to add some borders on top and bottom because scaling
>| >(the way I am grabbing from camcorder) distorts picture somewhat.
>|
>| the tv card should be able to upscale for you; if you want you can add
>|
>| borders with -vf expand.
>
>So hire is what I am doing now:
>
>$ mencoder -endpos 10 -tv \
>driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=0:input=0:amode=0 tv:// \
>-o dvd.avi -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
>acodec=mp2:vcodec=mpeg2video:vhq:keyint=25:vbitrate=5555:scplx_mask=0.2\
>-of mpeg -vf scale=720:528,expand=720:576 -srate 48000
>
>Can I do any better? If not, I will go the next step, figuring out how
>dvdauthor works... Any pointers, maybe someone wrote step by step
>instructions for most common cases, any links?

tv:// accepts width= and height= parameters; you can try them before
upscaling
in software.
in -lavcopts you should use mbd=2 instead of vhq.
The current mpeg muxer in mencoder
doesn't produce dvdauthor compatible files. I'm writing a newer one, but
it's
not ready yet. In the meantime you can download libdvb from
ww.metzlerbros.de
and use the bundled dvb-mplex:

dvb-mplex -t DVD -o file.dvd file.mpg