[MPlayer-users] playing dixv encoded files in windows

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Oct 16 05:39:40 CEST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:58:55 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> this is a weird issue that doesn't affect most users

Well, not at the moment, because everyone is probably using pre5 still,
but once there's a release (1.0pre6) with this bug, I'm willing to bet
you'll be getting dozens and dozens of bugreports.  Making
VCDs/SVCDs/DVDs is a pretty common use of mplayer (just search the
mailing list!), and this bug will surface for any mencoding to MPEG1
or MPEG2 from an NTSC source.

> so i'm not that
> motivated to spend time on it right now. i might later, but if you
> want to do some tests and tell me which patch broke it, i'll be happy
> to go from there and research it and hopefully find a workaround.

The plot thickens.

I've been putting a bit of extra load on the MPlayer CVS server and CPU,
trying to track down exactly when things broke, and why.

Well, after a few hours, I've narrowed it down to a commit between 03:45
and 04:30 on 2004-08-02.  Now, that's 252KB of patches to look through,
and I could narrow it down further, but I think I've found the culprit.
All of the commits at that time were part of the libmpeg2 upgrade.

To verify that is the problem, I tried encoding with CVS, adding '-vfm
ffmpeg' to the mencoder options, and the avi file it output didn't cause
mplayer to crash.  I'm quite content having located the cause.  If you
aren't interested in fixing it, that's your call.