[MPlayer-users] using mencoder to extract audio

bwnospam-sf1 at yahoo.com bwnospam-sf1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 22:39:37 CEST 2004

Every time this has come up in the past it has been
dismissed with the suggestion to "use mplayer
-dumpaudio".

"mplayer -dumpaudio" is a poor solution because it has
to play the entire selection and takes a lot more time
than if you extracted it with mencoder.

Before I set out to patch mencoder to properly handle
the example below, can someone who is more familiar
with mencoder's options tell me if there is another
way to do this with the existing options?

It would seem to me that -novideo is dysfunctional in
mencoder.  When used it would ideally cause mencoder
to no look for the video stream and use an output
container other than .avi  (mp3 perhaps)

The command I want to use:
mencoder ~/media/video/old\ school.avi -novideo -oac
lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3 -noskip -ss 1441.4 -endpos
260.1 -o tmp/part1.mp3

The current output:
AVI file format detected.
AVI_NI: No video stream found.
============ Sorry, this file format is not
recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please
contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer.
Exiting...