[MPlayer-users] null codec(?)

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 12 22:42:13 CEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Carl Fûrstenberg wrote:

> checked -vc help in semilatest cvs, and found this:
>
>    vc:         vfm:      status:   info:  [lib/dll]
>    (...)
>    null        null      crashing  NULL codec (no decoding!)
>
> Is this a easter-egg, or what?

You might want a null codec if you don't want to decode the video.
For example, I sometimes use it to rip the audio track from a dvd:
   mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device vobs/ -vc null -vo null -ao pcm -aofile foo.wav
Sure, it's not required, but it takes much less CPU time this way.

(The status "crashing" is just to make sure that it's never selected
automatically.)

--Loren Merritt