[MPlayer-users] why is -nocache default?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Oct 11 10:38:29 CEST 2004

Hey,

> ...I should not remotely be surprised that it isn't, but I would have
> thought "non-interleaved AVI file" would be an oxymoron - given that,
> y'know, the NAME stands for "Audio-Video Interleave"...

Not even good names prevent developpers from shooting themselves and
their users into their collective feet :) There are apps that first
write all the video chunks and afterwards all the audio
chunks. Incredibly stupid, but no one ever said that humanity was the
brightest invention in the cosmic history ;)

For such files the demuxer will constantly read from two file positions
that are very far apart, and the cache will always have to be refilled
on each change. That's why it's so slow.

Mosu