[MPlayer-users] Capture: video buffer full - dropping frame

Ulrich Schweitzer us- at gmx.de
Sun Oct 10 19:35:50 CEST 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 18:43, Martin Collins wrote:

> Maybe, it depends what you are trying to do. I take it you want to edit
> then reencode for archiving, in which case do all processing later.
> The problem is having enough disc space to capture a lot of footage
> in raw or lossless format. You may find it more realistic to capture
> in the final format and just edit that, if you can find a suitable
> editor.

There is also a "middle way" that can make sense. Capturing to high
bitrate (8Mbps or so) mpeg2 should be possible on any modern computer and
will give good quality at a file size that can easily be handled. The
resulting file can then be edited and 2-pass-reencoded to mpeg4. I'm
pretty sure that this will give better quality than capturing directly to
mpeg4 and it's more flexible, too.

Ulrich
--
PGP key ID: 0xDF6FC4FA

"A mouse is a device used to select the xterm you want to type in."
Author unknown