[MPlayer-users] Capture: video buffer full - dropping frame

Heine Laursen maillist at gozar.dynu.com
Sun Oct 10 15:59:24 CEST 2004

Martin Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:54:43 +0200
> Heine Laursen <maillist at gozar.dynu.com> wrote:
>

>>If my capture card don't support mjpeg it is then okay to use
>>huffyuv?
>

> Try it and see. Also try ljpeg and ffv1 or even mjpeg in the lavcopts.

Well i have tryed mjpeg, and it looked like crap!
Then i switched to hufftyv and are happy about the quality.
But still, I don't know for sure, my capture cart support or don't
support hardware mjpeg

>>I have just noticed another thing. My capture card is capturing
>>interlaced. Is there any way I can get it to stop that, or is it out
>>of my control?
>>I fixed it useing -vf pp=ci when i futher encode the video to divx
>

> Use pp=lb during capture. Don't refer to mpeg4 as divx unless you are
> actually using divx which is a particular mpeg4 codec.

Are you serius? As far as I know, the more work you send through your
computer, the harder it is to capture?

Would it not be better to do it when I future encode it to another format?

I have tryed vf pp=lb but have you tryed to look at the movie afterwards
useing mplayer -speed 0.1 ?
vf pp=ci do alot better job, as far as I can tell.

When I say divx, I mean lavc mpeg4 codec

>>mencoder -endpos 00:05:00 -tv
>>driver=v4l2:input=2:mjpeg:normid=0:decimation=1:adevice=/dev/dsp0:a
>>mode=1:fps=25 -ovc copy -oac copy -o test.avi tv://
>

> You still have mjpeg in there.

Yes, well I'll think it's better to show what I have tryed,

>>I have been playing around with mplayer, and I have managed to
>>capture useing the divx codec. I know I know. It's a bad idea to use
>>divx in capture. And I'm just playing around here.
>

> You can use mpeg4 if you like though it's not the best for editing.
> Using vqscale=2 will give the best quality.

Thanks. I did not know that.

>>So my computer is soposeley fast enuf to capture live Divx
>>However with my little knowleage of capturing I don't know if that
>>is the hole truth!
>

> Your computer should be plenty fast enough, just make sure your hard
> drive has DMA enabled with hdparm.

It's enabled on all my harddisks.