[MPlayer-users] Bug in aspect ratio calculation for theora

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 5 15:31:34 CEST 2004

salsaman wrote:

>> Sorry, I accidentally submitted this to mplayer-dev-eng, so I am
>> resubmitting here instead...
>>

>> Hi there,
>> I am currently testing ogg theora encoding in LiVES
>> (http://lives.sourceforge.net)
>>
>> There seems to be a problem calculating aspect ratios for this format.
>>
>> With a movie size of 256x144 (aspect ratio of 16:9) I see the following:
>>
>> VDec: vo config request - 256 x 144 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
>> VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
>> Movie-Aspect is 3.16:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
>> VO: [xv] 256x144 => 456x144 Planar YV12
>>

>> Now, (256 * 256) /  (144 *  144)  = 3.16049...
>>
>> so it seems that somewhere mplayer is not taking a square root.
>>
> Sorry, I should have added that this is with MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.3.1

Some further info. The ogg theora file was created with mencoder, here
is what mplayer -identify shows:

ID_FILENAME=/usr/local/vid/t99.ogv
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=0x0000FFFC
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=320
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=192
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=vorbis
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=65534
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=314240
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=564

So probably this bug only occurs if ID_VIDEO_ASPECT is 0. A separate
issue is therefore why mencoder is not setting the aspect ratio since
the mencoder command being used will set this explicitly.

Cheers,
Salsaman.