[MPlayer-users] Encoding from DVB-T mpeg-ts recordings

Samson Lee samson.lee at uts.edu.au
Sun Oct 3 12:14:51 CEST 2004

I want to convert my DVB-T mpeg-ts recordings to mpeg4/divx video with
direct copy audio (mp3). The command I tried is this:

mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac copy -o output.avi input.ts

When I play the output.avi file in Windows Media Player (yeh i know ..
it's for someone else!) or Zoomplayer, the video works but there is no
audio. The file plays properly with both video and audio in mplayer of
course. I also tried playing it with the DivX Player, which tells me,
"This file contains unknown audio data .. Tag 80".

If I use mencoder with "-oac mp3lame" to re-encode the original audio, I
am able to watch the file in WMP, ZP etc. This shows that I have a mp3
audio filter registered ..

Okay, so how do I convert my DVB-T mpeg-ts recordings to mpeg4/divx
video with direct copy audio into a file that is *portable* across as
many players as possible? If it's a problem with the source mpeg-ts
stream using "Tag 80" audio, is it possible to change it to another
"Tag"? Will it even work?

Much appreciated ..