[MPlayer-users] How to setup Alsa and mplayer for AC3 pass through with SB Live on kernel 2.6.8.1?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Oct 1 21:40:31 CEST 2004

Hi,

> please help me. I've tried a lot but all I get out of the digital output is
> noise. I tried mplayer with:
> mplayer film.avi -ao alsa:mmap:device=hw#0.2 -af hwac3,a52,

The hwac3 support is quite a hack. The device=hw#0.2 (which btw was
changed to device=hw=0.2 in CVS) won't work, either it is ignored or it
will break things (can't remember which...).
So don't use the device= parameter with hwac3 before somebody fixes it
(which might be anywhen inbetween soon and never :-( ).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger