[MPlayer-users] MEncoder: my avi output file has no audio (long)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Oct 1 18:19:04 CEST 2004

NEVER reply off-list unless someone asks you to. it's very rude,
because:
- we all have plenty mail in out personal mailboxes already. list mail
is much easier to manage!
- it prevents anyone else on the list from getting the advantage of
reading the discussion and learning from it.

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 06:01:02PM +0200, Fabien Wernli wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:53:16AM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > quite new to this, but le me add my opinion:
> > >
> > > 1) doing 2-pass encoding make sure there is no frameno.avi from previous
> > > 3-pass: rm frameno.avi
> > >
> > > 2) it's no use encoding the audio in the 1st pass: use -oac copy
> >
> > bad idea. a/v sync will happen differently, different frame
> > drops/dups, and the 2pass stats will be wrong.
> >
> > rich
>
> OK - so basically no workaround to use twice CPU time for audio-encoding? Or
> is that the specific usage of 3-pass encoding?

3-pass was meant to be a workaround, but it's buggy and can also cause
a/v desync. i do know one real workaround, but it's a pain:

1. encode both passes with -oac copy
2. dump the audio in whatever way you like and encode it with an
external program (e.g. lame).
3. remux the new audio into your file.

if you want avi/mp3, step 3 can be dome with mencoder -oac copy -ovc
copy -audiofile foo.mp3 ... but the nice thing about this approach is
that you can instead opt for ogm or mkv (or in the near future, nut)
with vorbis audio by doing the second step with oggenc or your
favorite vorbis encoder, then using ogmtools/mkvtools/etc. for step 3.

rich