[MPlayer-users] Re: splitting a video and subtitle file

Hillel Chayim Yisraeli hisraeli at zahav.net.il
Tue Nov 23 18:32:36 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:59:54 -0800 (PST) Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Hillel Chayim Yisraeli wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have a 1400 MB video and an Srt subtitle file to go with it.  I
> > need to split it up into two chunks of 700MB so that I can fit it on
> > 700MB cd's for a friend who doesn't have a dvd drive.  Splitting the
> > video's no problem with mencoder or with avisplit, but splitting the
> > subtitle file and keeping the sync of the video/subs seems problematic.
> > Does anybody have an idea what I can do about this?
> >
> > Maybe I can put the subtitle stream into the avi?  Would that do the
> > trick?  Or, is there a way to actually burn the subtitles right onto the
> > picture, losing the ability to turn them off?  Since I'll be keeping the
> > original myself, I don't mind doing this to his copy.
>
> You can do both at once: mux to matroska and split that.
> See http://bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
>
> mkvmerge foo.avi foo.srt --split 700m -o foo.mkv
>
> --Loren Merritt

I liked this idea, and it seemed to work. Except, the subtitles are in
Hebrew. When playing them in mplayer *not* in the mkv file, they work
fine - I have hebrew mplayer fonts.  But once inside the mkv file, they
don't work anymore.  The punctuation shows, but not the letters.  I
imagine it's a charset problem, but I've been reading the mkvmerge
manpage and trying different things, so far with no success.  Do you
know how to do this?

Thanks again,

HCY.

--