[MPlayer-users] Cannot compile: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Nov 21 21:08:57 CET 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:59:14 +0200
Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:

> There's a separate package in debian to pull in the headers. Whether
> this is a good idea or not is questionable. Supposedly glibc can break
> in spectacular ways if you replace the OS specific headers underneath
> it with something else than it was compiled against.

Same with most other distros, though most put it into /usr/src/linux
and leave /usr/include/linux untouched

> In 2.4 systems /lib/modules/version/build is usually a symlink to the
> build directory, /usr/include/* contains the headers glibc was compiled
> against.

This is something new! It wasnt around until 2.4.2x, afaik it was merged
into 2.4 soon after the 2.5/2.6 got it.

Again, the problem is not with MPlayer using the wrong include files
in the first place, but that the include files in /usr/include
do not fit together. Also note, that this is a SuSE only problem.
So far i haven't heard of any other distro that has this problem.

If the kernel headers would be wrong, then only those parts which
need them, namels fbdev wouldnt work correctly, but everything else
would just compile and work fine. But here we have broken kernel
headers.

				Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu