[MPlayer-users] dump dvd audio -> mp3

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 20:15:20 CET 2004

Aaron Peterson wrote:

> How might I go about dumping just the audio from a dvd to a nice vbr
> mp3 with mplayer?  or can I do that?

You cannot do that directly, no.

The simplest way to do it is

==
mplayer <options to play the DVD> -ao pcm -aofile <filename>.wav
==

and then encode the resulting WAV file with an MP3 encoder of your
choice. This is not necessarily the ideal way of doing it, but it will
get the job done.

A more complicated way of doing it would be something like

==
mencoder <options to play the DVD> -oac mp3 -ovc <anything> -o
<filename>.avi
==

and then

==
mplayer -dumpaudio <filename>.avi -dumpfile <filename>.mp3
==

but I'm not nearly so sure that that will produce a usable file, and in
any case it will either eat up gobs of disk space (if you use -ovc copy)
or take a rather long time (if you use any other -ovc value, requiring
MEncoder to transcode the video). It may produce a somewhat
higher-quality final product, because I think there's one fewer
transcode step for the audio involved, but that's about its only
advantage AFAIK.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.